Diler, Rasim Somer, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Medical Director of Inpatient Child and Adolescent Bipolar Services
Dr. Diler joined the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh as a faculty in 2008 where he serves as the medical director of inpatient Child and Adolescent Bipolar Services (in-CABS), which is the nation’s first inpatient program to improve diagnosis and treatment of youth with bipolar disorder. The Hospital Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) awarded the in-CABS in 2011 for the best patient care among all medical specialties for its novel multi-layered assessment methods and innovative interventions as well as its bridging inpatient -outpatient and clinical-research services. Dr. Diler served as the editor of the first international book on pediatric bipolar disorder that included chapters from 11 countries that provide a snapshot of how this condition is being diagnoses and treated in the world. He was elected to chair an international meeting of the Bridging Eastern and Western Psychiatry Association (Мост между Восточной и Западной психиатрией) on “Bipolar Disorder: Briging the Gap” in 2008.
Dr. Diler is a researcher in Child and Adolescent Bipolar Services co-directed by Drs. Boris Birmaher and David Axelson and in the Clinical and Translational Affective Neuroscience Program directed by Dr. Mary Phillips. Dr. Diler’s research has focused on the assessment, treatment, etiology (e.g., disease- and treatment-specific biomarkers) of depressive and bipolar disorders in youth. He has participated open-label and controlled treatment studies of mood disorders in youth and employed neuroimaging to better understand the diseases’ mechanisms that indicated abnormal brain activity in the anterofrontal region of depressed youths as measured by regional cerebral flow (rCBF; SPECT). In another pilot brain imaging (SPECT) study, Dr. Diler reported the first neuroimaging data about predicting treatment response in youths with depression. Dr. Diler was recently awarded with the AACAP Quest for the Test Ryan Licht Sang Foundation Award to conduct a pilot fMRI study to investigate emotion processing in depressed youth with bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder. Dr. Diler's promising findings suggested that that neural activity to positive versus negative emotional stimuli may help differentiate bipolar depression from major depressive disorder in youth. Dr. Diler is committed to pursue his research interests in understanding neurodevelopmental trajectories of bipolar disorder and searching for neural markers that can differentiate bipolar disorder early in life. His current research interest is to identify biomarkers of BP for an accurate and early diagnosis during depression, which is of vital importance to lower the risk of morbidity and mortality associated with late diagnosis and to prevent inappropriate treatments.
Dr. Diler has authored several book chapters and presented his findings at several international meetings and in peer-reviewed journals. He has received several awards including Young Minds in CNS (Central Nervous System) Award, in Depression and Anxiety Category (2001), Honorary Professorship from Xi’an Jiatong University, China (2003), Career Development Institute (CDI) for Bipolar Disorder (2007), Ryan Licht Sang American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Quest for the Test for Bipolar Disorder Award (2009/2011), the International Society of Bipolar Disorder (ISBD) Sameul Gershon Bipolar Disorder Award (2012).
- Avci A, Kibar M, Sezgin FS, Diler RS. Tc-99m-HMPAO SPECT findings of children with depressive symptoms Thinking Man Journal of Psychiatry and Neurological Sciences 10:22-26, 1997.
- Avci A, Diler RS, Kibar M, Sezgin F: Comparison of moclobemide and placebo in young adolescents with major depressive disorder. Annals of Medical Sciences, 8:31-40, 1999.
- Diler RS, Avci A: Paroxetine induced mania in children with obsessive compulsive disorder-a letter. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 38:6-7, 1999.
- Diler RS, Avci A: An Open Trial of Paroxetine in Children with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Current Therapeutic Research, 61:706-719, 2000.
- Diler RS, Avci A: An Open Trial of Risperidone in Children with Autism. Current Therapeutic Research, 63:91-102, 2002.
- Diler RS, Avci A: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome in children: six case reports. Current Therapeutic Research, 63:188-197, 2002.
- Diler RS, Reyhanli M, Toros F, Kibar M, Avci A. Tc-99m-ECD SPECT brain imaging in children with Tourette’s syndrome. Yonsei Medical Journal 43:324-329, 2002.
- Diler RS, Kibar M, Avci A: Pharmacotherapy and regional cerebral blood flow in children with obsessive compulsive disorder. Yonsei Medical Journal, 45:90-99, 2004.
- Diler RS,Uguz S, Seydaoglu G, Erol N, Avci A: Differentiating bipolar disorder in Turkish prepubertal children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Bipolar Disorders, 9:243-251, 2007.
- Diler RS, Daviss WB, Lopez A, Axelson DA, Iyengar S, Birmaher B: Differentiating major depressive disorder in youths with ADHD. Journal of Affective Disorders, 102:125-30, 2007.
- Diler RS, Uguz S, Seydaoglu G, Avci A. Mania profile in community sample of prepubertal children in Turkey, Bipolar Disorders, 10:546-553, 2008.
- Daviss WB, Birmaher B, Diler RS, Mintz J. Does pharmacotherapy for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder predict risk of later major depression? Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 18: 257-264, 2008.
- Emiroglu FN, Diler RS. Pediatric bipolar disorders: from the perspective of Turkey. J Can Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 18: 206-14, 2009.
- Diler RS,Birmaher B, Axelson D, Goldstein B, Gill MK, Strober M, Kolko D, Goldstein T, Hunt J, Yang M, Ryan N, Dahl RE, Dorn LD, Keller M (2009). The Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL) and the CBCL-Bipolar Phenotype are not useful in diagnosing Pediatric Bipolar Disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology19:23-30, 2009.
- Birmaher B, Axelson D, Goldstein B, Monk K, Kalas C, Obreja M, Hickey MB, Iyengar S, Brent D, Shamseddeen W, Diler RS, and Kupfer D. Psychiatric Disorders in Preschool Offspring of Parents With Bipolar Disorder: The Pittsburgh Bipolar Offspring Study (BIOS). Am J Psychiatry 167:321-220, 2010.
- Axelson DA, Birmaher B, Findling RL, Fristad MA, Kowatch RA, Youngstrom EA, Arnold EL, Goldstein BI, Goldstein TR, Chang KD, Delbello MP, Ryan ND, Diler RS. Concerns regarding the inclusion of temper dysregulation disorder with dysphoria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 72:1257-1262, 2011.
- Diler RS,Birmaher B, Axelson D, Obreja M, Monk K, Hickey MB, Goldstein B, Goldstein T, Sakolsky D, Iyengar S, Brent D, and Kupfer D. Dimensional Psychopathology in Offspring of Parents with Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorders 13: 670-678, 2011.
- Daviss DB, Diler RS. Does comorbid depression predict subsequent adverse life events in youth with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorders? Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology 22: 65-71, 2012.